Fit map to markers

Jun 14, 2010 at 6:43 PM

First, the obligatory 'thanks' for a great map control.  This saved me a lot of work custom buiding an interface to Google Maps for a website.

Is there a straightforward way to set the zoom and center for a map based on a collection of markers during the server side page render?  I've done this before on client side using ExtendBounds to create a block around my markers and then set the center and zoom to hold that bounds.  My current way of doing the maps defines all of the markers during the server side render so I'd hate to have to go back to reprocessing everything using the client side JavaScript.  I know this can be done but I fear it will require a lot of trial and error to figure out which zoom levels cover what distances in order to make sure all of the markers will apper in the map.

One other item.  Have there been any reported issues with putting map markers close to the 0 degree longitude line?  I'm finding that some of my maps break when markers get close to the Prime Meridian.  I haven't had a chance to dig too far into this yet but I  was curious if anyone else had observed it.