Geolocation caching

Coordinator
Feb 12, 2008 at 7:26 AM
Hi,
I received next question today:
HI i use for my website your googlemap control. the problem now is, that google only allows 15,000 geocode requests per day, which on my site reached and now it is blocked, so that the map doesnt work (isnt show). how can i solve this??? it would be nice for the next release, if you can enable or disable the geocode object (geocoding) thank jonas

My response was:
_As you can see in Release 2.7 I have started implementing so called geo locations caching.
That means google goecoder is invoked just first time to resolve the location by provided address.
Then location is cached/persisted in Latitude/Longitude of control or markers and then in ViewState.
That’s the idea and I hope helps._

So, guys what's your opinion about the idea of caching and geocode request limit?
Any better ideas or suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Velio
Feb 13, 2008 at 6:43 PM
I think that is a very good solution! I cannot find this in the source though... How long are you caching for?
Coordinator
Feb 13, 2008 at 9:05 PM
Hi,
Simple is that - goes to view state.
Check out LoadViewState and SaveViewState in GoogleMap class.
Regards
Feb 14, 2008 at 1:33 AM

velio wrote:
Hi,
Simple is that - goes to view state.
Check out LoadViewState and SaveViewState in GoogleMap class.
Regards

Ahhh... Viewstate. Would a more flexible solution be to offer the option of using actual Cache or Viewstate? This could be exposed through a public property? Using actual cache could prove to be a more viable option for those that might be able to capitalize on common points globally in their application. ... Just a thought.
Coordinator
Feb 14, 2008 at 7:20 AM
Hi,
I get the point.
I'm going to consider adding a property to give a control over where geo locations to be cached - ViewState or Cache.
Regards