Whats the point?

Nov 17, 2011 at 2:14 PM

Ok firstly i know this is free, and this is a great bit of work ( i would pay or more so my company would for this control) but I have to be a little bit critical now.

There is no other supported or pay google map control that I can find. People build stuff with this and frankly trying to get to know this control is a mess.
There is little to no documentation, examples are blank and there are non really for version 6.

In version 6 why take away the abilty to do a simple:

map.markers.add(<marker>), I worked out how to do it, but then:

How do I add windowinfo content In version 6, in the last version I could at least load a user control into the infowindow, now It appears it has to be a string a value.
Its just going backwards, and not everybody wants to bind data from a datasource!

Im not being nasty, but if you put something out there for people to use and people are using it, why make it so hard? or why not start charging $500 a year and do it right.

I cant use this thing right now and have to revert back to whatever version I am using. Silly really this control could be soo good.

Coordinator
Nov 18, 2011 at 6:41 AM
Edited Nov 18, 2011 at 6:42 AM

Dear azic1,

That's a good question, indeed.
I have asked myself few times same question - What's the point? Should I continue working on it, but then comes the simple answer: I like it.
About charging and payment: You are free to do it and were durung the year of development of this control, just follow the donation links, existing on many places for this project.

Let me share a small secret about the payment and donation.
You can count how may year is this projects out and the total amount of all donations during the year is number less than 100$.
But that's not the point at all and not the purpose this project is for.

So, you can call me silly, maybe I am.
I will continue my work on this control, because: I like working on it.

However, let me now be a good citizen again.
Dear azic1, please, read GoogleMap Control 6.0 and code behind discussion.
You will be happy to find that soon in the final release 6.0 the old convinient way to add markers, polygons, polylines and directions will be available again.
Please, note the current release of GoogleMap Control 6.0 is beta as well.
The only thing which will not be implemented in the final version is InfoWindow template and ability to add controls.
And the reason is simple, I'm not sure that's a good solution to add info window content for many markers.
Maybe it is OK for couple of markers.
My plan is to extend that and make it data boudable and more like a server side or client side (JS) templates.
However meanwhile, please "Do not underestimate the power of the String".
Many examples I can give how you can make a good usage of Info property even it is just a String.
Because the lack of time I have, let me be specific just for your case with user control.
I would suggest you add a simple extension method to your project:

/// <summary>
/// Renders a controls as string.
/// </summary>
/// <param name="control">The control.</param>
/// <returns></returns>
public static string RenderAsString(this Control control) {

StringBuilder buffer = new StringBuilder();
    using (HtmlTextWriter writer = new HtmlTextWriter(new StringWriter(buffer))) {
        control.RenderControl(writer);

}
    return buffer.ToString();
}

Then is pretty simple indeed:

var infoControl = this.LoadControl("~/Controls/MyInfoControl.ascx");
marker.Info = infoControl.RenderAsString();

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the honest thoughts - no hard feelings at the end :)

Regards

Nov 18, 2011 at 8:11 AM
Hi velio,
Its good to talk to you. I am sorry if my post came across a little rude, but I was working on a project that used this control and it was hard to answer questions for the manager as I had no documentation to refer to in order to answer.
If you search on google for the "best asp.net google map control" you will see YOURS is the winner every time.
And after using your control I think the same. The project was passed to me, I did not know about your control, but I can see it is amazing.
I don't think you are silly at all, in-fact I have much respect of your intelligence more than this email can express.
What made me write my post, is the frustration of having such a powerful control, and not an easy way to learn about it.
Of course I know you make it alone and in your own time, but documentation is a key factor, again if you search for your control you will see that lack of documentation is the one and only complaint.
Thank you for your examples and I will tell my company to donate.
Jason

On 18 November 2011 07:41, velio <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Dear azic1,

That's a good question, indeed.
I have asked myself few times same question - What's the point? Should I continue working on it, but then comes the simple answer: I like it.
About charging and payment: You are free to do it and were durung the year of development of this control, just follow the donation links, existing on many places for this project.

Let me share a small secret about the payment and donation.
You can count how may year is this projects out and the total amount of all donations during the year is number less than 100$.
But that's not the point at all and not the purpose this project is for.

So, you can call me silly, maybe I am.
I will continue my work on this control, because: I like working on it.

However, let me now be a good citizen again.
Dear azic1, please, read GoogleMap Control 6.0 and code behind discussion.
You will be happy to find that soon in the final release 6.0 the old convinient way to add markers, polygons, polylines and directions will be available again.
Please, note the current release of GoogleMap Control 6.0 is beta as well.
The only thing which will not be implemented in the final version is InfoWindow template and ability to add controls.
And the reason is simple, I'm not sure that's a good solution to add info window content for many markers.
Maybe it is OK fo couple of markers.
My plan is to extend that and make it data boudable and more like a server side or client side (JS) templates.
However meanwhile, please "Do not underestimate the power of the String".
Many examples I can give how you can make a good usage of Info property even it is just a String.
Because the lack of time I have, let me be specific just for your case with user control.
I would suggest you add a simple extension method to your project:

/// <summary>

/// Renders a controls as string.

/// </summary>

/// <param name="control">The control.</param>

/// <returns></returns>

public static string RenderAsString(this Control control) {

StringBuilder buffer = new StringBuilder();

using (HtmlTextWriter writer = new HtmlTextWriter(new StringWriter(buffer))) {

control.RenderControl(writer);

}

return buffer.ToString();

}

Then is pretty simple indeed:

var infoControl = this.LoadControl("~/Controls/MyInfoControl.ascx");

marker.Info = infoControl.RenderAsString();

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the honest thoughts - no hard feelings at the end :)

Regards

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (googlemap@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email googlemap@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

Coordinator
Nov 18, 2011 at 10:13 AM
Edited Nov 18, 2011 at 10:13 AM

Hi Jason,

No worries at all.
I agree about the lack of documentation, but that's a problem for every developer - writing documentation, of course that's not an excuse :).
However, I 'm willing to change that and as you can see I have builded API documentation available as help file and online pages.
I updated the samples website, cleared some obsolete and not working samples there.
And I believe the Sample Website is a good starting point for everyone using GoogleMap Control.
I hope soon to be able to finish version 6.0 documentation here, once I issue the final.
As a matter of fact, I have a lot of requests for helping with some specific problems, some of them not even connected to GoogleMap control.
I must say I'm not able giving a personal support, be active and quick in giving responses, because the lack of time.
However, don't want to bother you with my personal matters.

Happy coding.

Regards

Nov 18, 2011 at 12:08 PM
Hi velio,
No problems at all. In fact I am documenting things myself as are other developers in the company I work for. When they have it ready I will send it to you, so that you may be able to use it.
I have also reaffirmed the need to donate to you, to the company directors so hopefully they will, they are good guys and I think they will.
Kind Regards
Jason Chandler

On 18 November 2011 11:13, velio <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Hi Jason,

No worries at all.
I agree about the lack of documentation, but that's a problem for every developer - writing documentation, of course that not an excuse :).
However, I 'm willing to change that and as you can see I have builded API documentation available as help file and online pages.
I updated the samples website, cleared some obsolete and not working samples there.
And I believe the Sample Website is a good starting point for everyone using GoogleMap Control.
I hope soon to be able to finish version 6.0 documentation here, once I issue the final.
As a matter of fact, I have a lot of requests for helping with some specific problems, some of them not even connected to GoogleMap control.
I must say I'm not able giving a personal support, be active and quick in giving responses, because the lack of time.
However, don't want to bother you with my personal matters.

Happy coding.

Regards

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (googlemap@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email googlemap@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com