Artem Googlemap control not working

Dec 7, 2011 at 4:31 PM

We have a valid copy of the google map control and currently use it inour production website.  I have a copy of it, as well, on my PC so I can do VS development.  the problem is that the control doesn't work on our test website.  I have checked and re-checked.  the dll versions we have are all the same.  the contents of the web.config files are identical everywhere, yet the control won't work.  We get a popup error that says: "This web site needs a different google maps api key.  A new key can be generated at http://code.google.com/apis/maps/signup.html"

Why am I getting this error?

Thanks in advance,

Jerry

Coordinator
Dec 8, 2011 at 5:54 AM

Hi Jerry,

If version of GoogleMap Control used by you is 4.1 or less, then you have to check out nex two help topics:

So, if version 4.1 is the one you use, just follow the message, go to the URL and generate a proper key for you live domain.
Version 6.0 doesn't need a GoogleMap API Key any more, you don't have to set the key for it and it will throw a deprecated warning if you try to do so.

Regards

Dec 8, 2011 at 4:52 PM

The second link (how to setup Google maps API Key) was a good one in that I discovered that my code had a reference to the API Key as well as my web.config.  So I eliminated the one in the code.  So, now I don't get the popup that says the API Key is incorrect.

however, now I don't get an actual map like I should.  Any ideas on that?  the problem seems to be only on the test server, not within VS 2010 so I can't troubleshoot it via the debugger.

Which brings up a question.  Is there a way to see why the map doesn't load?  I don't get any indication other than the blank area on the screen.

Could there be something on my test server that is not allowing it?  Perhaps an IIS setting?

Thanks in advance,

Jerry