Dynamically Adding Map to page

May 12, 2009 at 10:03 PM

Ok, I had this working in 3.5 - but now that I've upgraded to 4.0.1 - my map doesn't show up on my page anymore.  I have a place holder and am dynamically adding the GoogleMap as so

GoogleMap map = new GoogleMap();
map.Key = myKey;
map.Latitude = latitude;
map.Longitude = longitude;
map.Height = new Unit("250px");
map.Width = new Unit("250px");
map.Zoom = 9;
myPlaceHolder.Controls.Add(map);

But again - nothing has changed except for the new version of Artem.GoogleMaps to version 4.0.1  Please help!!!

May 20, 2009 at 11:54 PM

I'm also having the same issue after upgrading to 4.0.1; here is the html generated by the control.

<div id="ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_10_gmap_Templates" style="display:none;"></div><input id="ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_10_gmap_State" name="ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_10_gmap_State" type="hidden" /></p></div>

May 20, 2009 at 11:58 PM

Here a little more: seems to have an issue on load();

var 9_gmap = new Artem.Web.GoogleMap({"Address":"Via Palermo, 36, 00184 Rom, Rome , Italy","BaseCountryCode":null,"ClientID":"ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_9_gmap","ClientMapID":"9_gmap","DefaultAddress":null,"DefaultMapView":0,"Directions":[],"EnableContinuousZoom":false,"EnableDoubleClickZoom":false,"EnableDragging":true,"EnableGoogleBar":false,"EnableInfoWindow":true,"EnableMarkerManager":false,"EnableReverseGeocoding":false,"EnableScrollWheelZoom":false,"Height":"280px","IsStreetView":false,"IsStatic":false,"Key":"ABQIAAAACzady7T3G0PSiGXZswDVtxQp9DW3rTMQ2hBrw-i2kzCNoOjV1xRtmXaPwzYqbWmsrorPyrnuU8sFoA","Latitude":0,"Longitude":0,"MapEvents":{},"MarkerEvents":{},"PolygonEvents":{},"PolylineEvents":{},"ShowMapTypeControl":true,"ShowScaleControl":false,"ShowTraffic":false,"StreetViewMode":0,"StreetViewPanoID":null,"Width":"500px","Zoom":15,"ZoomPanType":0});
9_gmap.addMarker({"Address":"Via Palermo, 36, 00184 Rom, Rome , Italy","AutoPan":true,"Bouncy":false,"Clickable":true,"Draggable":false,"DragCrossMove":false,"IconAnchor":{"X":8,"Y":16},"IconSize":{"Height":16,"Width":16},"IconUrl":null,"InfoWindowAnchor":{"X":0,"Y":0},"Latitude":0,"Longitude":0,"OpenInfoBehaviour":0,"ShadowSize":{"Height":16,"Width":16},"ShadowUrl":null,"Text":"Gulliver's House","Title":"Gulliver's House"});
9_gmap.load();

Coordinator
May 21, 2009 at 5:59 AM

Hi,

From the both samples above I see you have an ASP.NET control with ID set to a number.
In the first sample it is 10 and in the second is 9.
I will not recommend using plain numbers as control IDs, even if in most cases there is not trouble because generated ClientID and UniqueID wraps that number like (part _10_):
ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_10_gmap_Templates

However, from version 4 of GoogleMap control I map the ID of the control directly yo the JS object created for it.
In your case that generates a JS variable 9_gmap, which is JS error - variable name cannot start with a number. 

I would suggest you avoid using ID for the map control like: 10_gmap or 9_gmap.
If this numbers in the IDs are coming from a kind of sequential code generation I would suggest you using the opposite pattern: instead of {number}_gmap, use gmap_{number}

Regards

Jun 19, 2009 at 8:52 PM

Velio,

I still cannot dynamically add a map.  (the first initial post above).  It's works perfect in 3.5 --- I basically have a site that allows custom templating - so I dont' know where on a page a map will be placed (if at all) - That's why the page has a place holder - and I am dynamically creating and adding controls to it.  I get absolutely nothing with the newest version of artem.googlemap.

I did try your suggestion and give the control an ID that starts with a letter - so I added:

map.ID = "googleMap";

And still nothing is displayed.

Ideas?  I appreciate your help!

Coordinator
Jun 20, 2009 at 7:01 AM

Hi,

I did test exactly your case and it works for me.

Here is my page markup:

<%@ Page Title="" Language="C#" MasterPageFile="~/GoogleMap.master" AutoEventWireup="true" CodeFile="Dynamic.aspx.cs" Inherits="map_Dynamic" %>

<asp:Content ID="Content1" ContentPlaceHolderID="phContent" Runat="Server">
    <asp:PlaceHolder ID="phMap" runat="server"></asp:PlaceHolder>
</asp:Content>
<asp:Content ID="Content2" ContentPlaceHolderID="phDescription" Runat="Server">
<asp:Content ID="Content3" ContentPlaceHolderID="phProperties" Runat="Server">
<asp:Content ID="Content4" ContentPlaceHolderID="phActions" Runat="Server">
<asp:Content ID="Content5" ContentPlaceHolderID="phIssues" Runat="Server">

And here is my page code behind:

using System;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using System.Linq;
using System.Web;
using System.Web.UI;
using System.Web.UI.WebControls;
using System.Configuration;

public partial class map_Dynamic : System.Web.UI.Page {

#region Methods ///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

/// <summary>
    /// Handles the Load event of the Page control.
    /// </summary>
    /// <param name="sender">The source of the event.</param>
    /// <param name="e">The <see cref="System.EventArgs"/> instance containing the event data.</param>
    protected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e) {

string key = ConfigurationManager.AppSettings["GoogleMapKey"];
        double latitude = 42.1229;
        double longitude = 24.7879;

Artem.Web.UI.Controls.GoogleMap map = new Artem.Web.UI.Controls.GoogleMap();
        map.ID = "googleMap";
        map.Key = key;
        map.Latitude = latitude;
        map.Longitude = longitude;
        map.Height = new Unit("250px");
        map.Width = new Unit("250px");
        map.Zoom = 9;
        phMap.Controls.Add(map);
    } 
    #endregion
}

Please, take a note, I'm adding the control in Page_Load.
Hope same you do.

I'm getting the Key from my AppSettings.
Please, verify carefully you key is a proper for one.
You can do so by adding a standard page and putting a GoogleMap control on that page not dynamically with the same key.
If it is not working even like that, then you have to re-issue your key.

Regards

Coordinator
Jun 20, 2009 at 7:10 AM

Just forgot.
You can see the page working online at:
http://googlemap.artembg.com/map/Dynamic.aspx

Jun 23, 2009 at 12:50 AM

velio,

I found the reason!  I didn't have a ScriptManager on my ascx control (or page).  So if I add one - or bind the runtime to the older versions - I'm good to go (like here: http://dotnetslackers.com/Ajax/re-63468_Using_Older_AJAX_Controls_in_Visual_Studio_2008.aspx)

Now here's another question - how come the 4.x version requires a ScriptManager?  I don't use one on most of my sites that use the 3.5 control - and it still works fine.

Just wierd -- Thanks for your help!

Coordinator
Jun 23, 2009 at 3:42 PM

Hi,

Sure, it's weird.
I don't have a reference to that in the binaries and using the control on pages without ScriptManager.

If you find any details about the issue, please, let me know.

Regards

Jan 26, 2010 at 6:22 PM

No problem getting the map to work. My problem is when I try to add a directions. Any ideas on how to get this working?