Erratic markers

Aug 19, 2009 at 10:03 PM

This is the problem given in Issue Tracker id# 7870 .  I need to add more than 10 markers and have spent hours trying to find a work-around.

I've heard it may happen only if you use an address (instead of latitude, longitude).  I would like to try converting my addresses to lat/long before assigning to the markers but can't figure out how to do that.

I just wondered if a fix is coming soon?  Or can someone give me a clue about converting addresses to lat/long ?

Coordinator
Aug 20, 2009 at 7:06 AM

Hi there,

I think, the problem is connected with the limitation of the frequency of Geocoding requests.
So, the fix will be to add some (even small) timeout between every Geocoding request, which are used when resolving marker by address.
I have that in mind for the next release, will do tests and will add implement it.
The problem is I'm currently extremely busy and next release will not come soon, but probably in September.

Regards

Aug 20, 2009 at 3:21 PM

Thanks velio,

However I added Thread.Sleep(500) between each call to marker.Add in my code behind -- but it didn't fix the problem (?).

Is this the wrong way to do the timeouts ?

Coordinator
Aug 20, 2009 at 6:31 PM

Hi,

I ment timeout in JS, where the actual geocoding request are going.

Regards

Aug 20, 2009 at 6:52 PM

Yes, I suspected that.

I will have a variable number of markers, with the addresses pulled from a database.  I would like to do the database query in the code behind, and thus assign the addresses to the markers also in the code behind.  Is there a way to get the timeouts into the JS when doing it this way?

Thanks!

Aug 21, 2009 at 5:05 PM

I developed a workaround to provide both time delays and retries in the geolocation function, all in the code behind.  I created a separate function that uses the Google Maps geolocation service directly to get latitute and longitude based on addresses.   Then those values are used when creating the markers.

If anyone is interested in the details, post here and I will provide.

Oct 28, 2009 at 10:55 PM

@dflannery.  Yes, I would be interested in your solution as I'm having the same problem you describe.  Thank you

Oct 29, 2009 at 7:01 PM
Edited Oct 29, 2009 at 7:11 PM
timwri wrote:

@dflannery.  Yes, I would be interested in your solution as I'm having the same problem you describe.  Thank you

I've zipped my entire Google Maps test web site and put it on a free download site:  http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?gdn3z0nwgdk

The only changes are replacing Google keys with "XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX...." in two places.  Strangely, even after doing that the site ran normally in my Visual Studio 2005 environment. (?).  I've also been running this on a commercial web hosting site with no problems, although the Google keys probably have to be correct for that to work.

The site puts up a google map centered on Dayton, Ohio, USA with 20 markers and range rings at 5 mile increments.  The markers have hints and balloons.  The 20 location names are in an array at the top of the code behind module.

Function GetGeoLocationFromGoogle() performs the geolocation function, and function GetGeoLocations() calls it multiple times to get latitude and longitude for the 20 location names. If you enter a new location in the text entry at top of web page it geolocates that and recenters the map.

I've included the Artem.GoogleMap.dll and .pdb files that I have been using. 

Post here if you have questions.

Oct 29, 2009 at 7:08 PM

Thank you for posting the example site source.  That looks like a great solution.

Coordinator
Nov 4, 2009 at 12:07 PM

This was fixed for the next planned release 4.1